I like to be aware of world news. International Affairs is of great interest to me. When wars break out, if I can't be on the front lines reporting or running medical supplies to people in need, I'd at least like to be kept up to date. Especially by the people involved, the civilians who didn't ask for a war, and probably haven't even picked on anyone since that one time when they were 5. So when I found Global Voices, I was beyond excited and then immediately saddened. The first post I read was from a man in Gaza. His daughter had been killed along with several other children in a school. The School had been bombed, there was a picture and shrapnel everywhere. This is the reason my mom doesn't watch the news. I understand, but personally feel if I don't know about it, then I can't possibly help. And this is my one way of helping. Raising awareness.
Global Voices describe themselves as "a leading participatory media news room for voices from the developing world". You can choose to just read the big stories, or you can read a personal blog from a struggling parent in the Philippines. For some the internet is really there only form of communication with the outside world. If anything this site proves that technology has advanced for the better.
No comments:
Post a Comment