Saturday, February 7, 2009

Angry Post


Made the dangerous trek to Virginia today to work out my suspended license(dangerous b/c the likelihood of getting lost in Northern Virginia is yes. Just yes, you will.). Thrilling, I know. The DMV, however has always been of great interest to me. Its full of the oddest bunch of people, not that the people themselves are necessarily odd, but put together, they just don't fit. Which on the one hand is great. A cultural mixing pot of sorts. On the other, it just makes for an annoyingly weird experience. Annoying, because well, it is the DMV. I saw three turbans, a fair group of under paid immigrants (yes, I know for a fact they were immigrants , I'm not just being racist.) an adorable African-American family, several handicapped people, a bunch of Indian looking people wearing sarongs and a midget with his three daughters(I don't care its that's not the politically corect term, I just hope its not an offensive one.). Oh and I didn't mention the best part. The extraordinarily loud women behind me, who would not shut-up about things she knew nothing about and stood too close. (I wore dark sunglasses the whole time so that my wrathful go-jump-off-a-bridge glare was somewhat contained.) She bumped me every couple of seconds. (And this is angry me, me in the morning without coffee, somewhere were I didn't want to be.) I kept inching away from her, literally out of line to get away from her, recall this is angry me trying desperately to be rigidly polite at best and her not caring. I had to resort to coughing at her to make her shut-up and back off. Don't judge. Everyone else was nice. I always become quiet (quiet, me?!) and observant in such diverse groups of people, and the writer side of me enjoyed observing. The one thing I noticed is that everyone there was definitely middle class or lower. I suppose the rich go on Monday mornings. When they are not working at their fathers company. Bitter. Our generation should really work on improving the DMV. Obama? Fit in on your to do list anywhere?

No comments: