Thursday, March 19, 2009

A Blood or a Crypt?


Gothamist wrote a piece about rising crime in Williamsburg. They mention that crime has been rising since last year and seems to be spiking again, now that winter's over.
What caught my eye was that last year there were reports of machete attacks. Really? At first it seems almost laughable. Until you think about the fact that gang members were attacking people with machete's. Its the stuff nightmares are made of. I probably should've said this earlier, but if you are easily squeamish go read something else. Anyway, you can't live in fear.
The gothamist also metioned two gangs, the pretty boys goonies and the trinitarios, who seem to be resonsible for at least some of the crime surge. Which got me interested. Don't worry, its not just an odd fascination with gangs , I'm just interested in everything. So I looked them up.
What I discovered was the two gangs clashings have become serious problems. Now only have they employed machetes as viable weapons but, they are also using screwdrivers and a fighting during broad daylight.
Don't mean to scare you or anything. Its all about the perfect balance of paranioa and trust.
The most interesting tidbit I discovered is that the trinitarios usual tag reads DPL, which stands for Dios (God) Patria (Country) and Libertad (Liberty) which is on the Domnican flag. To me, that humanizes them. They believe in something.
Sources:
NY Post: Pretty Boy Goonies
Trinitarios
Urban Dictionary: Trinitarios

No comments: