Sunday, January 25, 2009

Heavy stuff for a sunday




Parenting isn't a subject I often find myself considering but I just happened to read an article thats got it weighing on my mind. I was innocently searching the the web for the anything on a tagger in DC whose stuff I've been seeing everywhere and instead came across multiple articles on 'tagging children'. Forums on whether it was moral, professionals advice on what the safest and most productive method was. Tagging children?!? Frankly I wasn't even sure what that meant, so I clicked the first link I saw, an article from the Times Online.
There are chips made you can put in your child. They send electronic signals to a computer. Sounds kinda like sonar. But with a chip. In your child.

A professor at Reading University says,"that the point about chipping is not that you would use it to track your children 24 hours a day – only in a worst-case scenario." Sounds a lot like the arms argument. Guns are for self-protection and thats what they're made for, once they are out of the warehouse its out of the manufactuarers hands as to what they are used for. Not that I'm comapring chipping to the mass production of weaponry.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, would you chip your child?
Should we fall under the influence of movements inspired by fear?
You can read the article here.

2 comments:

eli said...

Ray Kurzweil (http://www.kurzweilai.net) speaks of the coming of a technological singularity when folk and machine will be indistinguishable, and homogeneous... okay, sort of, it gets really complicated and I don't think I understand it all. But he talks about a coalescing of the natural human form and the machine. Likewise, there is a prevalent theme in feminist philosophy which sees technology (namely birth control) as uniting humanity. I get really very excited when I read about transcending biology, and its 'limitations.' I however get frightened when this transcendence takes place through technological means. This seems sort of related to the whole tagging children movement in that it is counter to a technological liberation. It liberates, perhaps, the parents, but not the child. Through one groups liberation the other is violated. And there it is... violated? My reaction -- I guess -- is a visceral one? I am not comfortable with the idea of my movements always being known and most project this out... you know, do to other folk as you want 'em to do to you?

Anonymous said...

no i would never put a chip in my child just like i wouldnt put one in my pet or anything living.its creepy and dehumanizing and what if they dont want a chip? what happens when they get older? what do we just all end up having chips eventually? freaky if u ask me.